Has swelling in legs and also oozing sores. Have diabetes, overweight and heart issues. Treatment?

my brother has swelling in his legs and also many oozing sores. He does have diabetes and heart issues. He is 70 years old and overweight.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 57 minutes later
Brief answer....seems to be diabetic ulcers arising out of uncontrolled diabetes and obesity.
Diabetic ulcers are caused by the combination of arterial blockage and nerve damage. Although diabetic ulcers may occur on other parts of the body ,but they are more common on the foot. The nerve damage or sensory neuropathy reduces awareness of pressure, heat or injury. Rubbing and pressure on the foot goes unnoticed and causes damage to the skin and subsequent ‘neuropathic’ ulceration.This happens when diabetes is uncontrolled and there is lack of foot care with ill fitting shoes and other factor could be smoking.

Similarly his swelling in legs could be because of uncontrolled hypertension,congestive heart failure,liver or kidney disorder or may be medication induced like THIOZOLDIENDIONES , given for control of diabetes.
Your brother requires a thorough work up by a diabetologist and a proper management.
It would be better,if he could be admitted in hospital and then managed there.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck