Has sleeping problem. Taken ambien, adtivan and gabapentine. What are the side effects of gabapentine?

Question
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF GABAPENTINE AND SHOULD A MAN BE TAKING THESE TO HELP HIM SLEEP. WHY WOULD A DOCTOR PRESCRIBE THIS MEDICATION.
MY HUSBAND HAS HAD ISSUE FOR THE PAST 7 MONTHS, HE HAS AMBIEN, ADTIVAN, TRAZADONE, AND THIE GABAPENTINE. WHAT SHOULD HE REALLY BE TAKING TO HELP HIM SLEEP

Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
hi and thanks for the query,

it is important to note that all drugs do have some side effects. The commonest related to Gabapentin include: headache, vomiting, joint pain, abdominal pain nausea and vomiting.

Although it has most of the time to treat seizures, restless leg syndrome and neuropathic pain, recent scientific evidence today indicates its effectiveness in the management of sleep disorders.

I suggest the doctor took into condideration his past medical history before prescribing the drug. From my humble opinion, I think the Gabapentine prescribed is very appropriate in this case.

My suggestion is he takes the drugs in recommended doses as prescribed by his doctor, and do not hesitate reporting any unusual effects or worries to your treating physician for a complete medical review.

Hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Do not hesitate asking further questions for clarification if need be.

Best regards,
Bain LE, MD.