Has shrinkage of brain. Can this be cause of dizziness?

My mother (96) has a shrinkage of her brain. Can this be the cause of her feeling dizzy? Is there any thing I can do to help?
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could contribute to her symptoms

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Atrophy is a decrease in size or wasting away of a part of the body. Atropy of the brain can cause dizziness in some persons particularly if the cerebellum ( it is located at the bottom of the brain) is involved.

The cerebellum is part of the brain that plays a big part of balance.

It is not uncommon for brain atrophy to occur with as a persons ages.

In terms of treatment, there is no cure or way of reversing the changes but there are possible treatments that may help alleviate the symptoms.

For example : (1) physical therapy to increase muscle strength and help with balance
(2) it is thought that using foods with anti oxidants fruit and vegetables
(3)there is also medications that can be used to help reduce the dizziness

It may also be important to put in rails and bars for her to hold onto as she moves about the house.

A physical therapist may be able to provide advice on what changes may be necessary.

There are also causes of dizziness such as conditions affecting the inner ear. You may want to ask your mother's doctor to rule out these causes. There are 3 main conditions that may affect the inner ear such as meniere's disease, BPPV and vestibular neuronitis.
An ENT doctor can diagnose if any of these conditions is present.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions