Has sex without penetration. Noticed less bleeding during periods. Should I be worried for pregnancy?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i need 2 talk with a sexologist
i am a married person....3 months ago i got married. in our caste, wife of a newly married person doesn,t comes to husband's home before 2 years. and same is my case. but we (me and my wife) made phone-sex for first one month and we were normal. then in the second month i went to my wife's home and we did every thing but no real sex. i mean we slept together (sometimes naked also), and did everything but no organ sex...i mean fucking. sorry i am not getting any other suitable word...and in last 2 months we did it 4 times. and the problem now is dat as my wife told me that her periods are not coming as before. i mean, she told me that the quantity of blood which falls in periods are not falling in the same quantity as they used to come earlier. the quantity has decreased. and this is the real problem.....i want to know its reason and side effects(if any)....please also suggest that if there can arise any pregnancy problems the less fall of blood in periods is injurious also....please reply simply and in details....
please guide me
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Please do not worry.
Pregnancy cannot occur without penetrative sex or without exposure of vagina to a mans semen or preseminal fluid( lubricating fluid released from penis during intercourse ).However it can happen if you ejaculated near her genitals or in any case there was some contact of your semen with your wife's genital region.
Instead of fearing pregnancy it's advisable to get a home urine pregnancy kit ( pregcolor or any other brand ) which can clear the doubt when few drops of your wifes urine sample are used in the test kit.
However getting less blood may not necessarily be due to pregnancy as usually majority of women do not get their periods at all if pregnant.
A decrease in bleeding could be sometimes due to hormonal changes , any oral contraceptive pills sideffects or due to stress ( anxiety ) . It's not a XXXXXXX situation and doesn't seem much worrisome at present .
However I would advise you get your wife's home pregnancy test done and get her checked by a gynaecologist ( specialist for women's problems) for confirming the diagnosis .
I would be able to guide her better if she provides detailed description of her periods , initially and now ie how many days cycle , how long bleeding last( 3-7 days?) frequency of flow , wether any other recent change noted .
Hope I have answered your query.
Awaiting your response .
Follow-up: Has sex without penetration. Noticed less bleeding during periods. Should I be worried for pregnancy? 15 hours later
thank you doctor.
relly your answer to my question was was very satisfactory.
and as you asked some more details so i am putting them in front of you....
as i discussed with my wife today , she told me that her periods come in a gap of 28-30 days before and present also.....but the bleeding days has decreased. earlier it was for 3 days but now for only 2 days, and also on the second day it (bleeding) does't comes as earlier, i mean the fall of blood at the second day is less than as compared to earlier periods. and she also told that earlier the colour of blood during bleeding used to same same coloured( most likely-red), but now at the second day the colour of blood seems more darker( means more black) than earlier. also on the third day, there is no bleeding.
and she also wants to know that will it arise any problem in his pregnancy in future? i mean, will it create any problem in being pregnant , imean being a mother? why is it happening so?
doctor if u understand me please reply in detait as before.......or if it is possible please talk to my wife on mobile phone, i am ready to pay for it......because i an in delhi and she is in bihar. and she is also very nervous and keeping tension for it..... please give a detailed answer to my problem....
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not worry . It is most probably a variation of her normal periods . The cause could be stress or weakness ( nervousness or excitement ) , inadequate diet( food intake ) sideffect of any Contraceptive tablets ,or less likely but possible causes could be hormonal imbalances or other uterus problems.
Although the menstrual cycle varies from person to person, most women have a normal period approximately every 28 days. Each period typically lasts from four to seven days. The amount of blood lost during a menstrual period ranges from 20 to 80 milliliters (mL). Blood loss of less than 20 mL may be considered a light period.
In her case if she is having regular cycles and bleeding for two days I think it's not very less ( less than 20 ml) so she should not worry.
First and foremost you should tell her to get a urine pregnancy kit from the medical store if possible to rule out a pregnancy though the chances of pregnancy is unlikely if you didn't have penetrative sex.
Other measures to be taken are to have a healthy diet , plenty of water , avoid too much stress ( worrying ) or physical exertion ( too much work).
If problem still persists in coming cycles then she should get few tests done after consulting a gynaecologist in Bihar ( for eg get sonography , blood test like thyroid , CBC , FSH LH etc) . With such tests one can confirm wether there is any hormonal or other problem causing her light periods.
As for her future pregnancy there is no risk if these tests are normal and she is having slight decreased bleeding but regular monthly cycles . Many normal women have periods lasting for 2 days and do not have any problem in pregnancy.
However if there is any hormonal imbalance as shown in blood tests or sonography then it should be promptly treated by a gynaecologist to avoid any future problems in pregnancy .
So as of now it doesn't seem much worrisome but if this problem persists or worsens ie if cycles become irregular or very decreased bleeding / spotting then she should get herself checked by a gynaecologist and get the tests done .
Hope I have explained you clearly.
Kindly accept my answer in case there are no further doubts.