Has severe knee pain. Suggested knee replacement. Life of knee implant? Best place for surgery?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Doctor, My mother has sever knee pain and in few initial visits to surgeon in Indore(MP), doctor has suggested to go for Knee Replacement. I have following question in this regard,
1. What is life of knee implant? Do we need to replace it after 10 years again?
2. What is the best place to have this surgery? Our preference will be either Delhi or Indore/Bhopal. Please suggest if some other place will be best suited for us.
3. What is the cost of total knee replacement for one knee?
4. Do we need to join any weight lose program before knee replacement? My mother's weight is around 100 kg at present.
5. Is there any waiting time for knee replacement surgery?
6. How many days we need to be hospitalized? How many days, we need to have physio therapy after surgery? With this information, we can plan our stay in hospital for that many days and then come back to our native place.
7. What is best company to have knee implant? I have family member working in Stryker and he can get Stryker implant at discounted rate. Is that best company or we need to use something else?
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I answered the queries to the best of my knowledge

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Please find the answers for your questions with reasonable explanations

1. The life of the implant is measured in terms of survivorship (joint replacement terminology). It has been proved in many clinical trials worldwide that the average suvivorship of a knee implant at the end of 15 years is around 95%-98%. (Ofcourse, a good surgical technique is a prerequisite to achieve this result).

2. I suggest you to opt for Delhi (my personal preference only) as it has good corporate hospitals with state of the art operation theatres.

3. The economy package for a single total knee replacement (TKR) in any corporate setup will be around 1.8 lakhs approximately.

4. Weight loss is always desirable before undergoing TKR as obese patients will have relatively high failure rates.

5. It depends on the workload of a particular corporate hospital. I personally think that it will be less than a week.

6. Hospital stay will be around 3-5 days. Physiotherapy after TKR differs from patient to patient. It is 2-3 weeks normally.

7. Around 7-8 imported implants are available in India right now. Undoubtedly Stryker is one of the best implants. I prefer Stryker's Scorpio NRG (non restrictive geometry) primary knee system for my patients.

Hope I have justified your queries. I welcome any clarifications

Follow-up: Has severe knee pain. Suggested knee replacement. Life of knee implant? Best place for surgery? 47 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor for quick response. I have few follow up questions. Please provide information based on estimates if you have do not have exact answers.

1. Do you suggest any specific hospital or doctor? We need some hospital that good and doctor and physiotherapist.

2. This economy package is 1.8 L. Is this covered by insurance and how much percentage? My mother has limit of 3L per year as per insurance.

3. What is the cost of premium packages of TKR? I am assuming that only difference between this and economy will be room and services, not the implant and doctors. How much is covered by insurance approximately?

4. Weight loss is important. If we are not able to achieve that at home then do you suggest to go to some residential weight loss center before TKR? If yes then can you please provide few suggestion of this or any alternate options.

Waiting to hear from you and one again thank you so much for help.

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reasonable answers for your queries

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you. Please find the answers for your queries -

1. XXXXXXX superspeciality hospital, XXXXXXX NewDelhi (this is the hospital where i underwent training in joint replacements under Dr.SKS Marya). Dr XXXXXXX is very good at performing joint replacements and you can see his profile at "". You can also "google" for best hospitals and best knee replacement surgeons in Delhi.

2. Yes, definitely Total knee replacement is covered under insurance (provided the policy has been in effect continuously without lapse for the past 3 years). I am not sure of the percentage of coverage but it should be around 80%.

3. Premium packages may cost you around 3 lakhs. Yes, as you thought , the difference will be only in the services offered not much in the implant.

4. I recommend to take her to an official weight loss center that are being run under the guidance of professionals.

Hope you find the answers helpful. Good day