Has severe cough with mucus. Having several brown irregularly shaped skin splotches

My daughter has a severe cough and is coughing up mucus. Also, she has had several light brown irregularly shaped skin splotches appear in the last few days, the largest of which is about 1/5 the size of a XXXXXXX It does not appear to rise above the skin. Her temperature is 98.7
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly connected

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending your question.

It sounds that your daughter might have some type of bronchitis. Most of the time this is caused by viruses. Usually the immune system will slowly eliminate this infection over several days. If the symptoms persist and she develops more mucus production it might be reasonable to visit with her primary care doctor to talk about a possible antibiotic to give her immune system some help to clear the infection.

regarding the skin changes I'm not sure this is completely connected. Sometimes fungal infections can cause discoloration of the skin. I would observe this for the time being. It is something that you would want to bring up with the primary care doctor who can perform a thorough physical examination to determine exactly what the cause of this rash is.

thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns that you would like to review with me.

Dr. Galamaga