Has sever sunburn on stomach and neck. Have small blisters. Medicines to relive pain?

My boyfriend has severe sunburn on his stomach back and neck. Hasn't slept at all last night due to stabbing pains in the burn area. He has small blisters all over his stomach and back, he doesn't have a headache and has been drinking plenty if water. He has developed a rash on the I damaged skin down both his left and right side. We are in italy on holiday and he is refusing to let me call a doctor, I am waiting for the chemist to open what should I ask them for to relieve the pain
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 51 minutes later
To treat these symptoms induced by sunburn
1) he should continue with drinking plenty of water to maintain adequate hydration.
2)right now, you can do ice cold water compresses over the affected area.Also application of calamine lotion mixed with steroid cream like mometasone or fluticasone would help in soothing the affected area
3) intake of oral painkiller like paracetamol or ibuprofen would help in pain reduction.
4) Ask him to stay in cool environment and wear loose cotton clothes

hopefully the lesions would resolve in few days.
wishing him speedy recovery