Has ringworm with rashes. Used Paderm cream and oiltum soap. Prescribed Clostin mix. Had a fungal infection

Hi, my son has ringworm like rashes that have persisted for 4months now. I took him to the hospital at first I was told it is an allergy he was given Paderm cream and oiltum soap. He used it for a week as prescribed and they disappeared. After 2weeks they reappeared I used the same cream this time it disappeared after a week. 1month later they appeared again I took him to the hospital he was given Clostin mix. I used it for one week the rashes disappeared. now they are back and they are bigger rings and more in the body. When the rashes first appeared they were just on the neck area now they have appeared on the back and chest. The second round i was told by the doctor he had a fungal infection but now I am just confused how it could be an allergy or fungal infection because he is just 9months. I started weaning him when he was 5 months with fruits i.e avocado and bananas. At 6moths i gave him rice porridge. The problem began when he was 6months.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 8 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

From your description the rashes seem like Erythema Multiforme. These are Fixed ringworm like lesions symmetrically distributed on the abdomen, extensor surfaces of arms and legs, tops of the hands and feet, palms, etc. These lesions may have a burning sensation but are not itchy.

These are hypersensitivity reactions. That is why these were getting better with steroidal medicines.

Now coming to the cause. In babies and children, these are usually a reaction to viral infections like herpes simplex virus, chicken pox virus, Epstein Barr virus, etc. Also these are seen in reaction to medicines or even vaccines.

Thus the mainstay of treatment is to find the trigger (cause). It is also possible that she is reacting to some component of food or even formula. Since baby foods are fortified by many chemicals and vitamins. You are best person to find the trigger. I personally believe in giving the kids natural home made foods that we take as adults. Since she is only 9 m you can mash the adult food nicely to make it semi-solid and then feed her.
Take out all medicines-containing foods, wait for 2 weeks. Then introduce one food at a time and wait for at least 2 weeks to see if she gets any symptoms.

The milder symptoms are mainly treated with anti-allergic medicines, topical calming lotions and topical steroidal creams.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee