Has ringworm, what precautions to take?

Question
I need to know if I must add any special antifungal agent to the laundry ...my husband has ringworm and I don't know what to wash the towels he's been using in to ensure that no fungi or bacterium is left on them.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably not

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX

Thanks for your query; most of the time, unlike parasitic infections like scabies, for topical fungal infections it is not necessary to add medications to the laundry; most of the infections come from direct skin to skin contact, so until his rash has completely resolved, direct skin to skin contact from the affected areas must be avoided. I agree, though, that washing the linens just with detergent and hot water would give you extra peace of mind, but again, no need to add antifungals to the water.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN