Has reached puberty. Having one testicle bigger and harder than other. IS it cancer?

Feb 2013

My 12 year old son is telling me one of his testicles is bigger and harder than the other. No pain though. He is worried about testicular cancer from reading about symptoms. He has gone through puberty recently and was wondering if this could be at all normal.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

During pubertal period, testes will enlarge because of hormonal effect.

And the size of both testes is not same even though they looks of same size.

Left testes is usually lower in comparison to the right one.

Testicular cancer is a very uncommon and rare condition in children so tell him not to worry about this condition.

Still if he is worry about his testes, reassurance from his pediatrician after physical examination will make him comfortable.

Therefore I advise you to take him to pediatrician for the physical examination and for reassurance.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.