Has puss coming out after taking an epson salt bath. Had pain in tailbone. Suggest?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My daughter has puss coming out after she takes an epson salt bath. She has had pain in her tailbone since Monday of this week.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Is the pus coming from just below the tailbone (coccyx) just above the crack of buttocks?
If so it means your daughter has pilonidal sinus infection/abscess.

Epsom salts have not been found to be of drastic benefit in healing pain/infection.
Infact it kills some of the protective bacteria on the skin too, which in turn can increase chances of skin infection.

This needs to be examined by a doctor and usually responds only to minor surgery .
Your daughter might also need 6 weeks rest after the surgery.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need clarification.

Dr Arun
Follow-up: Has puss coming out after taking an epson salt bath. Had pain in tailbone. Suggest? 5 hours later

Thank you for your quick response.

Yes the puss is coming from this area only.

I will have her stop taking the epson salts.

Can you advise if she should still take warm baths and keep putting a heating pad on the area?

For surgery is this done at a local
hospital or can it be done in the doctor's office?

Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
You can continue warm baths.
Surgery is usually done in local hospital.