Has psydo tumor and had the gastric sleave. Had stroke. Having seizures and spinal stenosis. Help? Treatment?

Nov 2013

Our 19 year old granddaughter has psydo tumor and had the gastric sleave, and has lost 55 lbs., which her neurologist said will help the psydo tumor. This was a year ago. Now she's having seizures, she had a stroke in her 6 nerve and has 6th nerve palsy; she now has spinal stenosis with her spine curving and 2 herniated disks, she has nerve damage (which they call fibromialgia) all over her body, she has migraines and now they say her seizures are conversion disorder and she's seeing a psychotherapist. Her tonsils in cerebrium were enlarged suggesting cehria, but my daughter even had a doctor laugh and said that's not the problem (she didn't even look at the MRI). My granddaughter cannot even leave the house without having some kind of seizure. She is going down hill right before our eyes and it's been a year and a half, and nobody will diagnose her so she can be treated. We are frustrated, we don't know where to turn now. We've been given no direction to help XXXXXXX please, by what I have said here, where do we go now?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your grand daughter has all these problems at such a young age, and is not getting better.
First of all, she requires kind and considerate doctors, who listen to her, analyse all her symptoms, and give her the best medical advice.
Also, I wish to tell you that none of these problems are serious, and she would improve soon.
She needs to be under the care of a neurologist as well as a psychiatrist. The neurologist would take care of pseudo tumor (benign intracranial hypertension), disc prolapse, spinal stenosis, fibromyalgia and migraines. The psychiatrist would take care of conversion disorder.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Has psydo tumor and had the gastric sleave. Had stroke. Having seizures and spinal stenosis. Help? Treatment? 2 hours later
Sir, I would like to know why no doctor has referenced the "enlarged, swollen tonsils"? Couldn't that be a problem blocking fluid from draining from the brain, or causing all these spinal problems??? At her age, yes, it is unfortunate that she is "having so much DAMAGE done to her body", because not one doctor will look further. We saw her MRI's, the neurologist even said that her tonsils were enlarged... what kind of specialist should she see that will address this enlarged tonsil? Do you know any in Florida, or anywhere? As you can see, I'm feeling very desperate. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Enlarged cerebellar tonsils could cause compression of lower brain stem (medulla oblongata) and upper cervical cord, if it is severe. In mild cases (grade I Chiari malformation), it is usually asymptomatic (does not pose any problems). For a good opinion on this, you should consult a neurosurgeon.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)