Has progressive diabetic related kidney disease. Had a stroke, now paralyzed. Has rashes that itch. Cause?

Hi my mom has diabetic related kidney disease, which is progressive kidney disease. 3 & half month ago she had a stroke. Strock left her left side paralized. She is now in rehab for physio. Her left hand is quite normal now but left foot is still little heavy, she feels.She has vasscular disease in her pinky toe of the left foot. Pinky toe dried & dead. She had so much pain before. her feet are swollen. Recently she has rash in her feet mostly, itchy & painfull. My question is : What is causing skin rash?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

You are telling us that your mom is suffering from diabetic kidney disease with diabetic foot with necrosis of the toe, the foot is swollen as well and is painful and with rash.

It would be helpful if you can take a photo of the feet and upload it as an attachment.
But most likely your mom is suffering from cellulitis of foot. It is one of the complications of long standing uncontrolled diabetes. It is a serious issue so I would like you to go to a hospital with XXXXXXX medicine and general surgery facility immediately for a local examination and treatment.

1. Pain killers like paracetamol 650mg can help, other NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti – Inflammatory Drugs) like diclofenac is contraindicated in renal failure. Please XXXXXXX your doctor for a prescription. She might also need dressing with magnesium sulphate and a course of antibiotics.

2. A good home remedy for the inflammation (itching, redness and pain) is to mix 1:1 ratio of glycerine and XXXXXXX milk and to apply generously. Please don't apply it on open skin and wound.

I would like to again stress on the fact that she requires medical care as soon as possible and please attach a picture in your reply to me.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I am awaiting your reply