Has osteoporosis. Has back and knee pain, has frozen shoulder, weakness. Why does she complain of palpitations and belching?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my mother is suffering from osteoarthritis for last 15years and her knee and back is affected by it and experience a lot of pain in her knees and shoulders. She has a frozen shoulder and feels very weak most of the time during the day. Complains of giddiness and her body becomes stiff when she is not doing any activity. For last one year she is unable to walk or move around and is on wheel chair currently. She is unable to move her left hand and her leg and hands fingers are twisting (overlapping above each other), and her grip is also very poor now. Sometimes complain of palpitation and at time feels her entire body is pulling her inside.
Her diet is very less. Lastly when ever we try to move her body or make her do some exercise she starts belching.
Recently have got her Vitamin test done and fond that her D3 and B12 are insufficient and attached is the reports for the same. Please suggest what should I do for the deficiency and does this deficiency got anything to do with her above symptoms.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
I understand your concern.
From your history, it seems that your mother is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and not osteoarthritis as her fingers are also affected by the disease.
An associated Vitamin D3 and B12 deficiency do further aggravate the bony instability, however, they are not the primary cause of her symptoms.
The current symptoms are more due to the disease itself rather than the vitamin deficiencies.
Since her movements and daily activities are largely restricted, she needs a thorough evaluation and disease modifying drugs under the guidance of a rheumatologist.
Meanwhile for Vitamin D3 deficiency she can take calcitrol sachets once a week with milk. proper treatment for her condition can be instituted and she is better soon.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Has osteoporosis. Has back and knee pain, has frozen shoulder, weakness. Why does she complain of palpitations and belching? 34 minutes later
Dear Dr. Tayal,
Thanks very much for your advise. I will consult a rheumatologist as advised.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
You are most welcome.