Has normal BP with low heart rate. Can Intuniv and Augment be taken since intuniv is beta blocker?

Yes, my son is 22 years old and has a blood pressure of 126/73 with a hear rate of 64. He is considering taking intuniv to augment the stimulant he takes for ADD. I am checking to make sure that his blood pressure and heart rate are in a good range since intuniv is actually a beta blocker.
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Varanasi Pundarikaksha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consult physician Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. Definitely,you are right in monitoring the heart rate and BP as the beta-blockers produce bradycardia and control the BP.Your son, having 126/73 BP is appropriate and the heart rate 64 may be low for his age unless he is having the same even before the treatment and if it still goes you have to adjust the dose or consult a Physician for further management. Regards,
Follow-up: Has normal BP with low heart rate. Can Intuniv and Augment be taken since intuniv is beta blocker? 3 hours later
If he has not tried the beta blocker yet but his heart rate is 64 (resting), would that mean that he should forego the medication? If it is used with a stimulant, doesnt the stimulant increase heart rate? So the two should even each other out.
Answered by Dr. Varanasi Pundarikaksha 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Not predictable.. Detailed Answer: May I know if your son is an athlete? Low heart rate is common among them. I also would like to know if some one advised use of beta blocker. If it is just to nullify the stimulant effect of heart rate, I do not recommend that. Beta blocker should not be considered if heart rate falls below 60. Regards
Follow-up: Has normal BP with low heart rate. Can Intuniv and Augment be taken since intuniv is beta blocker? 59 minutes later
Yes, he is an avid surfer and is extremely fit, both in terms of the muscular and the cardiovascular. I feel sure that is why he has a low resting heart rate. The psychiatrist who prescribes his psychostimulant recommended "intuniv" which is a beta blocker and is now also marketed as a drug which augments psychostimulant medication in treatment for attention deficit. I am just seeking additional information to be sure that this is a safe addition to his ADD medication. He could definitely use some more help with the attention deficit and the psychostimulant causes him increased anxiety so we are researching possibilities for medication alternatives.
Answered by Dr. Varanasi Pundarikaksha 20 hours later
Hi, I wish to suggest you that As your son is having Heart rate around 64/min, the beta-blockers are not preferred and if you want another additional drug to potentiate the drug prescribed for ADD, I advise you to consult a Psychiatrist because Drug interactions may cause adverse effects. The ideal drug combinations should be prescribed to get maximum relief for your son as he is hardly 22 years with lot of future. Regards