Has missed periods and did HCG to confirm pregnancy. What does it indicate?

Hello Doctor,
My wife's last period was on 29th May and today(nearly after 1 month 10 days) we did a HCG test to confirm pregnancy with results showing < 0.10. She has also missed her June's period.What should we infer from this results? Any help is greatly appriciated.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

As per the blood report, beta hCG level is under 0.10microIU/ml. This level is not conclusive of pregnancy.

Though pregnancy is diagnosed by rising beta hCG titre, as your wife has more than a month period delay, I would safely rule out viable pregnancy as the cause of delayed/missed period. She needs to be evaluated further to identify the cause of missed period. An ultrasound scan will be an useful investigation to begin with.

Discuss with your gynecologist and plan for further testing. Your doctor would also initiate hormonal pills to induce periods.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.