Has missed periods and HPT positive. Prescribed Gestafol and duphaston. Had miscarriage previously. Suggest?

my wife has missed her periods for one week and till date 20.06.2013 the test prega news test kit check pregnancy and seen test are positive. she showed to a doctor(date 22.06.2013) and she prescribed his GESTAFOL capsules and DUPHASTON 10mg tablets for one week. DR. asked her to get a ultrasound after on one weeks. can you please tell that what kind of medicine did my doctor advised me and my wife has first time pregnancy is miscarriage. so please reply me.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 44 minutes later
First, I would like to congratulate you for the new pregnancy, wishing it to be a successful one ending in a healthy beautiful baby. What your doctor did was completely right.
The first drug contains Folic acid, an essential supplement for all pregnant women in the first trimester. There is strong evidence that it prevents neural tube defects and other anomalies if taken before pregnancy starts till completion of the process of organogenesis.
The second drug contains the hormone "progesteron", which supports your pregnancy. There is no evidence that progesteron has a role in cases of previous miscarriage or repeated pregnancy loss, but on the other side, there is no harm at all.
Ultrasound examination is essential in the first trimester in order to document a healthy intrauterine pregnancy, confirmation of dates and to exclude ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterus). However, as you visited you doctor a bit early, it is wise to have the scan after one week.
If you tell me the circumstances of the first miscarriage, I may give you more advice if possible.
I hope I have answered your query and I am interested to know the result of the ultrasound scan and happy to answer any more questions.
Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Follow-up: Has missed periods and HPT positive. Prescribed Gestafol and duphaston. Had miscarriage previously. Suggest? 16 days later
Dear sir,
DR. have checked ultrasound scan(date:29/06/2013) in my wife and after one month her to get a checkup. so sir read the attached report and reply good suggestion of previous 7 present question.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 32 hours later
Hi, sorry for the delay.

I was very happy to read the ultrasound report as it was very reassuring.

A healthy intrauterine viable pregnancy was documented, ectopic pregnancy was excluded, and your due date is around the 24th of february 2014.

Please continue on your previously mentioned medications and forget about the previous miscarriage.
You may also have your routine laboratory investigations, if your doctor agrees:
- Complete blood count.
- Random blood sugar.
- Rh.
- Rubella IGg.
- urine analysis.
- Optional: screening for hepatitis B, C and screening for HIV.

I will be happy to follow up the results of these lab investigations and to guide you through your pregnancy.
Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Follow-up: Has missed periods and HPT positive. Prescribed Gestafol and duphaston. Had miscarriage previously. Suggest? 15 hours later
Dear sir,
i am very happy for your answer. i have not attached some report (hemoglobin,blood sugar,rh) this report is normal. Doctor has prescribed his :
- Lupigest_200 capsules(this capsules in inside the vagina at night for 30day)
- Sifasi 5000iu injection for weekly in month
- Gestafol for one tablets in day
so again very thanks of your answer and advise the helpful suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 1 hour later

It is good to hear that you routine labs are fine.

Your doctor has replaced duphaston by lupigest capsules intraviginal inserts, which are more effective.
Adding sifasi injections has no role, but at the same time no harm, so it is up to you.

Waiting to answer more queries till the end of you pregnancy.

Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.