Has mersa infection that pops up often and have thin skin. Have several spots with blisters. Suggest?

Question
My husband has a mersa infection that pops up often. He is 76 soon and skin is thin. We seem to get little help from our small home town Dr. The one that cured his first out break moved away. Right now he has several spots with blisters. Help. A Dr. assistance said it is common in old people is that true?
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Staphylococcus aureus are naturally found on the skin. They inhabitate and grow as normal commensals without causing any harm. However at times when body resistance is lowered - either due to skin injuries, diabetes, chronic infection/disease, chemotherapy/steroid use and old age - the normal commensals cause XXXXXXX symptoms such as skin blisters.

Though staphylococcal organisms are found in all individuals, Methicilin Resistant strains (MRSA) are acquired hospital/community.

In simple words, MRSA infection is usually an acquired infection. Perhaps this age made him susceptible to this infection. He also needs to be screened for other potential reasons for increased susceptibility such as as diabetes.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

To his good health!!!