Has lump below patella, pops when leg is bent. Could it be sprained ACL?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Good evening. 1st thank you for being available. My husband has got this big size of a golf ball lump just below his patella. When his leg is straight it goes away. When he bends it, it pops up. He is pain he puts pressure on it or bends it. It almostlooks like a bone popping out just under his knee cap. The only thing he can recall happening in the last couple of days, is one onf our Golden Retrievers running into his knee. ? Could it be a sprained ACL?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be sprained ACl or patellar ligament. Detailed Answer: Hi, Without clinical examination it is difficult to say, be it could be sprained ACl or patellar ligament. An MRI scan of the involved area is necessary to assess the exact extent of injury to the musculature inside. Momentarily try the following measures and see if they can help him. - REST the injured area and avoid doing any activities that causes pain - ICE COMPRESSION over the painful area once in 2-3 hours - Wrap an ELASTIC COMPRESSION BANDAGE around the painful area - Elevate leg on a cushion or a pillow while lying or sitting down - Use analgesic anti-inflammatory medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation. - Once the severity of pain decreases, Gradual and mild stretching activities of the knee are begun along with Moist heat fomentation of the painful area so as to increase the blood supply to the underlying muscles and also the relax them. Gentle massaging of the painful area with pain killer creams may also help. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care