Has low neutrophil count. Smear test are negative for blasts and also indicate mature cell production. Should I worry?

my daughter is fairly healthy .. however she has low neutrophil count ehich ranges from 100 - 1000 on sny given .. she is normially not sick.. smaer test are negative for blasts .... and also indicate msture cell production .. should I n e worried
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation With Hematologist Recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very reasonable one. Some people have a neutrophil, which maintains just below the lower limit of normal. This does not always represent a pathological process. In some cases this can be followed with regular complete blood counts To see if there is some type of cyclical pattern. In certain cases where patients have recurrent infections sometimes doctors will recommend supplementation with a growth factor to stimulate the production of neutrophils.

It sounds like in the case of your daughter however, that she is not dealing with recurrent infections. I do think she should see a hematologist for a baseline assessment. The hematologist me recommend a certain frequency of checking the complete blood count again to see if there is any pattern which might benefit from treatment should she ever develop issues with recurrent infections.

It seems like a benign Process in the case of your daughter but I think establishing care with an expert hematologist would be beneficial for future management and observation.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga