Has low BP and varicose veins. Cognitively slow, normal pulse, swelling in legs and cold hands. Chances of heart failure?

Hello. My 72 YO mother currently has a b;ood pressure of 80/50. She can not stay on her feet or she will pass out, she is extremely fatigued, cognitively she seems quite slow and I just noticed (she has vericose veins) that the veins in her arems are so blue I actually though she had toilet bowl cleaner stains on her arms. I have never seens veins like this. I am shocked and scared. Her pulse is normal (hanging arpond 80), she has experienced swelling in her legs (around ankles mostly), her hands are very cold. I am worried about shock. This condition continues to decline but she will not go to the hospital. Heart disease on her side of the family is rampant. While her lips are not blue, I am also worried she may be in heart failure (I had a younger sister who was in heart failure three times). She needed open heart surgery at 18 months due primarily to a complex tetrology among other things. I am very worried but do NOT know how worried I should be...I think a lot of concern is merited. I really need feedback. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Dear Sir/ Madam
1. A blockage of 69% and 50% is not significant unless it involves "LEFT MAIN ARTERY".
2. Mitral valve prolapse with slight leakage is also not significant.
3. A blood pressure of 80/50 mmHg with inability to stand and impending "passing out" is definitely something which should be evaluated urgently. Swelling of legs may also point to cardiac pathology. With history of correction of Tetralogy, Cardiac cause should be ruled out.
4. There can be other causes of low blood pressure like medicines, any infection , low intake etc. A normal BP on lying down and low BP on standing is a common combination in old age and is primarily due to nerve disorders.
I would request you to take her to ER (emergency room) at least once, so that an exact cause can be ascertained after examination and investigations. Then try to convince her to take a treatment also.
Please feel free to discuss further.