Has long cut between buttocks. Applied Neosporin. Feels dry and itchy. Due to toilet paper? Cure?

Hello, my teenage son has about an inch long cut/tear between his butt cheeks (is that what you refer to as the gluteal cleft?). It bled for a bit and now seems to have stopped bleeding (and I had him apply Neosporin on it)! but this tear/cut seems to be a rather large one, respectively. But it doesn't hurt except to touch it. He's been using baby wipes after a bowel movements, because we noticed regular toilet paper would cause him to feel itchy and irritation down there from the dryness, as we soon discovered. Between using those wipes and my son having a tendency toward a sweaty butt, it stays moist there. Could this cut /tear be a contributing factor? Also, should I take him to his doctor to see if stitches is called for--are stitches ever called for in this scenario or am I being overly cautious. Also, if you think it's something that will close up and heal on its own, should I apply something like diaper rash cream?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The symptoms that you have described are suggestive of a pilonidal cyst or sinus. It is a cyst that develops along the tailbone (coccyx) and it may present with redness and pain over the area and drainage of pus and blood from an opening in the skin (sinus tract) over the lower spine.

Mostly it is a dimple or sinus tract that has not become infected or inflamed and in that case you do not generally require any immediate treatment. But in your son’s case it loos infected and an infected pilonidal cyst is an abscess that requires incision and drainage (lancing) in order to improve the symptoms.

You should get it examined from a surgeon. Till that time, he could try eating a high-fiber diet, using stool softener, taking pain killer and having a sitz bath for the symptoms. Keep the area clean and APPLY Neosporin cream, wear loose, comfortable clothes and maintain good personal hygiene.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.