Has little to no sex drive and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Related?

My husband is 57 years old. He has little to no sex drive. He has ITP. Could it be related?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
itp is not known to cause reduced libido

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) is not known to cause a reduction in libido.
If he is experiencing significant bleeding episodes due to the reduced platelets resulting in anemia , then it is possible that the fatigue associated with anemia can cause reduced libido.

However if he is not anemic then it the disease itself is not the cause of his reduced sex drive.

If he is on any medication, you can consider writing them out so I can see if it is possible that the medication is responsible.

There are other causes of reduced libido in men such as reduced testosterone, stress, low thyroid hormone, depression.

If the problem is not related to a side effect of any medication he is currently using then he may want to consider checking for any of the above problems.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Has little to no sex drive and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Related? 4 minutes later
He takes Benicar 40mg. Once daily.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is not a known side effect

Detailed Answer:

There are some blood pressure medications that cause this problem but this class of drug is not known to cause it though everyone reactions differently.

Blood pressure medications such as beta blockers , ACE inhibitors or thiazides are associated with sexual issues though usually erectile dysfunction not reduced libido.

He may want to have blood tests for testosterone and thyroid function.

Please feel free to ask anything else