Has itchy rash like thing on legs, toe, thighs and bottom of spine. Treatment?

Hey my partner has these things in his legs at the too of his thibg and bottom of his
spine what is it? It is very itchy too
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tinea,antifungal drugs,topical steroids cream

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for sending in the photos for better judgement.

It might be related to tinea, a fungal infection of the skin in the affected areas as described by you.

In this cases, it is advised to take oral anti-fungal therapy (terbinafine mostly prescribed) with local anti-fungal and steroid creams (mixed together).

In addition, I would recommend to :

- keep a good hygiene

- take frequent baths. I usually, recommend my patients to use ketoconazol shampoo thrice a week for 1 month.

- wash the clothes separately

- to prevent bacterial infection due to skin scratching as it itches, I prescribe taking amoxycyllin/clavulonate twice daily for 10 days.

- you can also apply cold compresses to ease the itching other than using steroid or other anti-itching creams.

Hope it helped!

You can write to me other concerns you might have.
Follow-up: Has itchy rash like thing on legs, toe, thighs and bottom of spine. Treatment? 1 hour later
After taking medication will it go away and stay away? Will it leave any damage? And how has it come about?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it will go away with right treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Do not worry. If proper treatment has been executed, such problems will go away without leaving any scar or other skin problems.

However, you should be patient, follow the right instructions of the treatment and within a couple of days or within a week such problems will disappear (at least, this is the report from my patients).

Actually, I ask my patients follow up within 3 to 1 week after the treatment has started to see the progress. If there is progress, we continue with the above mentioned treatment. If not, I always ask dermatologist consultation.

Next, tinea is a kind of fungal infection. Our skin contains fungi, which are normal habitats and do not cause problems. Some other fungi caught by the environment (such as pooling or athletic facilities) or from animals or from other infected people might cause such problems.