Has injured heels in gymnastic. Pain and swelling not there but bruising extending to ankle. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Wow how amazing!
My daughter Jess injured her XXXXXXX in a gymnastics accident. Pain and swelling have gone but the bruising seems to be extending to her ankle now ???
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Usually the bruising heals in about 2-3 weeks of the injury. The worry starts if sign of infection like fever, redness etc. present, and symptoms like pain, swelling increases and bruise lasts for more than 3 weeks. If there is an increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing than only she needs to do X-ray. Else, need not to worry.
The spread of bruise to the ankle is due to collection of blood in the dependent part due to the effect of gravity. This will decrease on keeping the foot elevated.
The home remedies your daughter can follow are:
1.     I'd suggest to apply warm packs to the area twice a day for a week, which will help the body clear the bruising away. (Remember to place a dry towel between the skin and the pack.)
2. Wrap elastic bandage like crepe bandage at the site of bruise. But don't wrap it too tight
3. Elevate the leg with the help of pillow, it helps in reducing swelling and bruise.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.