Has increased Sertraline dosage for Alzheimer's caused combative behavior?
User rating for this question
My wife has AD and is now at times combative. She has been taking Lisinipril for years and Sertrahline 25mg for about two or thre years. ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO ,IT WAS INCREASED TO 50MG SERTRAHLINE. We hve wondered if the combative behavior may be due to medication. At times she is very social and happy. Other times especially when dressing or undressingshe is combative.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Its a common symptoms among alzheimers Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Being combative is a very common symptom among the patients of alzheimers and it is certainly not due to sertraline. As the brain degenration continues depression, psychosis and other behavioural disturbaces are very commonly noted. Your psychiatrist is right in suggesting you sertraline as an initial drug to control behavioural disturbances. However now that the symptoms have gone bad we need to explore other options as well. There are two drugs which I commonly use among my patients and find them effective are quetiapine or risperidone. Both these drugs are started at their lowest doses viz 25 mg and 2 mg and show good improvemnt in a week or so. You may discuss these options with your psychiatrist. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
People also viewed
- Has increased sertraline dosage for alzheimers caused combative behavior
- Sertraline causing sticky bowels
- Suffering from insomnia chronic condition high stress anxiety levels treatment
- Can sertraline cause anxiety
- Soreness on scalp neck crunching anxiety causes and treatment
- Tiredness at onset of labor
- Swine flu symptom excessive sweating
- Toddler fever swollen bloody gums
- Does sertraline cause fatigue
- Tightness in lower lungs and heart speeding up
- Can caffeine intake cause panic attack and anxiety
- Feeling constantly hungry nervousness and anxiety do i have hypoglycemia
- Does sertraline cause drowsiness
- Pressure in head dizziness headache popping in neck have anxiety
- Throbbing vein back of head