Has hypothyroid and taking Thyoxin. Planning for asecond kid. Age appropriate? Hypothyroid cause problem?

Excellent
Question
Im 38 yrs (72 kg) and my wife is 32 yrs (53 kg). We have a son who will be 7 this September. We would like to go for second and would prefer a girl baby. My wife has hypothyroid and is consuming Thyroxin 100 mcg daily morning.

1. We would like to know if our ages are appropriate ?
2. We are aware of chinese table matrix based on female age and month of last period. How reliable is that ? Is it wise to try based on that ? or Is there any other proven tips for conceiving a girl baby...
3. Would hypothyroid cause any complication ?
4. What is the appropriate period to have intercourse for conceiving ?

For the first child., we did not plan anything and so we had direct intercourse all the time and did not bother about any of the above. But after first kid., we have been using condoms only and since 7 yrs have gone by, our ages have gone up, our frequency has reduced and so we have these questions / concerns now..

Pls. help to clarify and advise..

Thanks!!
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXX,
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX
1)As far the age is concerned there is no problem in getting pregnant, but once she is pregnant your wife should undergo screening for genetic abnormalities. Its a universal screening done for all pregnant women.
2)There is no medically proven method till date to select the sex of baby.
3)Yes, she should continue taking her thyroid supplementation, as there is more chances of miscarriage, preterm labour.. During pregnancy also she should continue thyroid medication.
4)If your wifes periods are regular then, fertile period for intercourse will be between Day 8 to Day 16

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Has hypothyroid and taking Thyoxin. Planning for asecond kid. Age appropriate? Hypothyroid cause problem? 13 hours later
Thank you Dr for the response to every question...

In continuation of the above., I have a query.
From Day 8 to Day 16., Do we need to have intercourse every day or 1-2 days in this day range should be ok ? What is your advise on this ?

If we have multiple times in this period., are there chance of twins ?

Also., in the normal course., how many times in a week is ideal for good health and good relationship ? Sometimes, we havent had for months together...

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 5 hours later
Hi XXXXX,
Thank you for followup question. Happy to help you. Its ideal to have sexual intercourse everyday, as frequent as possible, but at least alternate days. Also there are few features which will tell when ovulation will occur:
1)Observing mucous changes
Your wifes cervical mucous changes during her fertile period becoming more slippery, wet and clear - it's often described as having the look and feel of uncooked egg whites - indicating ovulation.
2)Avoiding ejaculation in the days leading up to her fertile period
To optimise conception, you should ideally avoid ejaculation for 2 -3 days before her fertile period
3)Avoiding additional lubricants during sex
4)Orgasming during sex
If you orgasm before - or at the same time as - your partner ejaculates, the alkaline secretions in your uterus and vagina increase, and this helps sperm motility. The uterine contractions that occur during orgasm also help to move the sperm up towards your fallopian tubes where most fertilisation occurs.
5)Choosing a sexual position that encourages deep penetration
6)Keeping the penis in the vagina post-ejaculation
Leaving the penis in the vagina until it goes soft after ejaculation can help aid conception.
7)Letting gravity do the work
After sex increase chances of conception by making lying your wife flat for half an hour after sex
8)Being in the healthy weight range

MULTIPLE SEX DOSE NOT LEAD TO TWINS. DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT.
Its ideal to have sex at least once in 3-4 days, RELATIONSHIP IS NOT JUST SEX, ITS LOVE BETWEEN HUSBAND AND WIFE. Hence, I advise you to speak with your wife regarding this. There is no cutoff, you both can have sex whenever you both desire.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW