Has hyponatremia and acute ulcerative colitis. Feeling nausea and fatigue. How is legionnaires disease diagnosed?

How is Legionaire's disease diagnosed? My husband has had diarrhea, cough, confusion, nausea, fatigue since Aug. 1st. Has taken Prednisone for 14 days with symptoms of the above still. Am at a loss in trying to treat him. He is 87 yrs. old. Some symptoms are the same as Legionair's disease but no Doctor has even mentioned any ot these. He also has hyponatremia and acute ulcerative colitis. Thank you, XXXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

The symptoms you mentioned above are typically seen in Legionaire's disease but are not specific for the disease.Such symptoms can be seen in other forms of viral pneumonias.

But I would consider it mandatory to rule out the Legion fever in him.This can be done by

Microscopic examination of the sputum
Staining and culture of the bronchoalveloar lavage fluid.
Urinary Legionella antigen detection
Serum Antibody tests.

The above tests do not by any chance miss the diagnosis.
Once the diagnosis is established, treatment with antibiotics like Azithromycin or Quinolones would be essential.

Hyponatremia and Ulcerative colitis if active now can be involved in worsening of the pneumonia.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.