Has hypoeosinophilitis syndrome. Had hip replacement. Drink beer. Can taking beer affect the condition?

my brother in law has hypoeosinophilitis syndrome and has had two hip replacements in the past two years. I noticed he does not take very good care of his own diet and health. He drinks beer on a regular basis and gets drunk with his friends a lot. I was wondering if the use of alcohol will affect his condition.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advise him to Quit Alcohol.Health check regularly.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Symptoms in Hypereosinophilic syndrome varies from no symptoms to severe unwell condition.

Alcohol intolerance may be present in Hypereosinophilic syndrome.
But not all the persons with this syndrome have Alcohol intolerence.

Symptoms in this syndrome depends on system and organ involved.
Alcohol is metabolized in liver by enzymes.
If the liver is involved, he may develop Alcohol intolerance.
Otherwise he do not have any symptoms of alcohol intolerance.

Usual symptoms of alcohol intolerance are flushing, vomiting, asymptomatic patients with hypereosinophilic syndrome.
As it is a multiple organ involvement, advice him to go for Regular health check concentrating on Serum troponin level, EChocardiogram and pulmonary function tests every 6 to 12 months.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing your brother in law good health.
Follow-up: Has hypoeosinophilitis syndrome. Had hip replacement. Drink beer. Can taking beer affect the condition? 2 hours later
His father was a chronic alcoholic for most of his life. The entire family seems to drink heavily. He lost his wife last year and his behavior has become defiant. He shows up late to his important appointments and causes trouble because he is either hungover or all he thinks about is having another beer. This might be a grieving response but he controlled his drinking when my sister was alive. Now he acts just like his father. I don't think this can be good for his condition. I was thinking he should be taking the best care for himself as possible. Food, no alcohol, less stress.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult Your PCP and Psychiatrist for Deaddiction.

Detailed Answer:
Yes. You are right, he do not recognize his own problems.

He need Alcohol detoxification and Psychological counselling.
Psychological Counseling and therapy help him better understand his problem with alcohol and support recovery from the psychological aspects of alcoholism.

Family support is very important in Alcohol addiction treatment.
Consult with your proper support is provided.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.