Has hematoma above knee. X-ray showed fine. Should I try to squeeze the coagulated blood out of wound?

Question
My girlfriend has a hematoma juist above her knee from an impact with a moving car door, it has been almost weeks now and her swelling has gone down a little, you can see knee. Went and got xrays and bones, ligaments, are fine... The hematoma has a small wound on it from the impact and that scab peeled off a week ago and has consistantly been bleeding any time she uses the leg.... The question is, Should we attempt to squeeze some of the coagulated blood out of wound or will this cause more damage, and have you heard of anything like tihs??
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 57 minutes later

If there is a direct connection from the hematoma and the wound then squeezing would help.This connection has to be ascertained before squeezing the swelling.

Do not squeeze on your own.Such a procedure has to performed by a medical personal after examination only.

Let the the altered blood ooze on its own. It has to be made sure that the blood oozing out is from the denatured clot or fresh bleeding from a recently torn blood vessel.

I suggest you to take her to a Doctor who can examine and do the necessary procedure with aseptic precautions.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

regards,

Follow-up: Has hematoma above knee. X-ray showed fine. Should I try to squeeze the coagulated blood out of wound? 29 minutes later
Did you see the pictures? The wound is in the middle of the hematoma... the oozing is definitely coagulated, darker red. ... My girlfriend really wants to avoid going in to hospital because she has no insurance. Is there anything I can help her do at home to aid in oozing or anything???

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I did not receive your images.

Kindly mail the attachments to email Id

YYYY@YYYY (to my Attention : Dr Raju )

I shall have a look and be more specific and advice you better.

Hot fomentation can help to resolve the clot and help the fluid to ooze out from the wound.

I strongly recommend a medical personal to deal with the wound, any infection of the wound could get serious due to its proximity with the joint.

Anticipating your response,

Follow-up: Has hematoma above knee. X-ray showed fine. Should I try to squeeze the coagulated blood out of wound? 5 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

First of all thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate the input about the nasty hemotoa on my leg. It has been 5 weeks since this happened. The reason we are so concerned is that the wound was tiny went we first went to see the Doctor 2 weeks after it happened. Now it keeps getting bigger and doesn't seem to want to heal. I keep it covered most of the time to prevent infection and only let it open to the air when at home and I am not moving anywhere.

Best Regards,XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I received the image and had a look

The wound does not appear infected, but yes there are chances of it getting infected.

Thought on expressing the fluid behind the wound is right,I just recommend sterile precautions and asepsis during the procedure.

Try the hot fomentation and try to express the wound gently.This may ooze out some fluid and reduce the tension in the above skin which will help in healing.

I really consider there is a need for that wound to be attended by a medical professional.It could get very serious if it gets infected.Wound may have connections with the joint space and can infect the joint too.

Do apply BACTROBAN ointment over the wound, this will contain if any infection present and also prevent one.

Wish you good health.

regards,