Has had diarrhea. Imodium has not helped. Is it due to food poisoning?

my wife has had orange yellowy direah for last tow days never ever suffered before ..Imodium has not stopped it yet ..just does not feel unwell sorry my typing is bad could it be food poisoning
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be a possibilty though less likely Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this diarrhea that your wife has had for the past 2days. I hope we get to identify the problem and take care of it. Depending on the surrounding circumstances, it could be food poisoning. we would need more information like others reporting similar symptoms who also ate the same food. Please, acute diarrhea should not be treated with imodium. This is because the cause is often a germ and holding it back in the system as imodium does just gives it a longer chance to cause more damage. Immediate and most important management is to replace all the fluids and electrolytes losses by increasing their intake through various preparations like oral rehydration solutions. Diarrhea never kills but failure to replace fluids and electrolyte losses does! The best course of action now is to stop imodium and increase fluids intake. If symptoms should persist for more than 3days and or blood o high fever noticed, then you should seek medical attention for stool analysis and treatment according to findings. I hope this helps. Always keeping hand clean by washing them with soap and water as often as possible is a very effective tool against germs transmission and contamination. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more clarifications if need be. I wish your wife well. Dr. Ditah, MD