Has habit of eating old food from can. What are nutritional facts of hot food over cold?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi, I have a older freind who is 86 who lives alone, and is always eating cold food out of a can.I am trying to convince him that hot food is more nutritious and better for yoy than cold food.
what are the nutrional facts about eating hot food(not spicy)over cold food?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hot and cold food can be nutritious.

Detailed Answer:
Thank for using Healthcare Magic.
I understand and commend your concern over your friend's eating habits. However, whether the food is hot or cold is not the most relevant point in relation to it's nutritional content. Clearly if your friend is eating food straight out of the can he is not taking an interest in preparing the food and the worry us that he may not be eating a balanced diet.
Food can be highly nutritious yet cold. For example, cold meats, cheese, nuts, salad vegetables. There is no evidence that hot food is more nutritious than cold food providing the food is prepared well.
I would suggest that you explore the reasons why your friend is eating cold food and perhaps help suggest dietary options including hot and cold foods to make his diet interesting and varied.
I hope this has answered your query. if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,