Has frequent ankle pain. Had gained weight. Cause and treatment for pain?

Spine Surgeon
My mother frequently has pain in her ankles. Previously she used to complain about the pains after waking up from sleep, but now, she has pain even when she stands up after sitting for some stretch of time. She is in her late forties and gained some immediate weight in a span of less than a year (thought this could be a helpful detail). She is a homemaker. Please suggest possible reason and solution for this pain. Let me know if you need any details.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to investigate

Detailed Answer:
Common reason would be excess loading on the ankles with subtle ankle arthritis (age related). How is her bone quality- dexa scan done? any osteoopenia or osteoporosis? First of all need to consult an orthopaedic doctor and you may need to get ankle Xrays and if needed MRI to diagnose the problem.
If it is due to low bone density with arthritis then need to start on osteoporosis medicine and local ankle measures. have you done any investigations till now? any other significant medical illness? Please upload if done. Thanks.
Follow-up: Has frequent ankle pain. Had gained weight. Cause and treatment for pain? 18 minutes later
I just talked to her. She says that the pain is more in the heels than in her ankles. She got an X-Ray done and consulted a doctor regarding that (not sure if she went to a specialist). He said that there might be a bone which was getting elongated. She went for a second opinion but the second doctor said that it wasn't the case. I will upload the X-Ray once I get it.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
the problem is bilateral heel pain

Detailed Answer:
This is different issue and is quite common problem. It is usually due to microbreaks in the fatpad of heel and plantar fasicitis. I think you are talking about calcaneal spurs (bony outgrowth of the heel bone) which is common finding on X-ray in such patients. Usually this should be treated conservatively with pain medicine and heel cushions under the heel. Avoid high heel foot wears. Preferably use sport shoes with heel cushions. Increase weight definitely put more load on our heels. Calf muscle stretching should be taught from the physical therapist. This should resolve the problem. If it persist then we prefer to give one local injection in the heel for pain relief. No need to do anything for the heel spurs. Thanks.