Has free floating ribs and herniated lung. Had hit head and cannot stop hiccups. Suggest?

My 80 year oldhusband has 2 freefoating ribs and herniated lung . he was just hit head on in the car.He nis home but cannot stp hicccups since leaving ER? I am a psych nurse and clue less
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The persistent hiccups after a head injury could be related to anxiety or gastric reflux or excessive acidity after the accident. In such cases, the hiccups usually stop after a while.
He can sip some iced water or do valsalva manoeuvre to stop these hiccups.
In case these are persistent then this could be due to an injury to the XXXXXXX structures of the brain. In that case, it is best to get an MRI scan done for proper diagnosis. Consulting a neurologist is advisable.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.