Has found melonoma. Had mole on back. Should Be worried for cancer?

My isster just found out that she has melonoma. She had a black mole(kind of big) on her back. She has to go to see an oncologist and is worried. What can uou tell me?

Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am Dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based from the information it seem that you sister is diagnosed with melonoma and you are worried about it and wanting to know more about it.

Here is what melonoma is, it a Malignant (spreading and invasive) cancer of skin. It occurs due to a DNA damage mainly due to U.V. rays from sunlight. It normally appears as dark irregular mole like spot on the skin. The chances of getting better depends upon how big the spot is and how thick its inside the skin is, because the thickness is an indicator of spread of cancer. Once the spread has started its just difficult to deal with it efficiently. Lesser the thickness of the spot is indicative of local effect and can be removed with 100% cure result.

To measure the extent and the spread a skin biopsy is done and oncologist will deal with it and pathologist will confirm the changes in the biopsied tissues.

For protection :
1) Stay away from Direct sunlight during summer and especially at noon,
2) Use SPF 50+ sunscreen solution in case of sun exposure.
3) Wear full body covering clothing in case of unavoidable circumstances of sun exposure.
4) In case of any abnormal black spot that is getting bigger please get an medical help.

Hope I was able to answer the query to your satisfaction.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any clarifications/ further queries.

Thanks for the query