Has fever with rectal suppository. Fever dropped after paracetamol, declined below normal. What to do next?

Question
my son has a fever 40 Celcius and having rectal suppository 5 hours ago. the temperature drop to 37.7C after 1 hour.
Then paracetamol was given again and after 2 hour, the temperature was 37.1
He is sleeping and sweating.
Now 5 hours after the paracetamol and he is still sleeping with sweating, the temperature range from 35.1 to 35.6C, what should i do.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
It is good that the temperature has subsided now. The subnormal temperature during the fever mainly happens due to the weakness he is having due to the illness. Anti pyretics like paracetamol do not cause lowering of temperature to subnormal levels. You need not worry. The temperature will come to near normal level on its own.
You need to remain vigilant of his body temperature as if it rises above normal, you will have to give him paracetamiol again.
Do consult his pediatrician for proper investigations to find the cause of fever and further treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Has fever with rectal suppository. Fever dropped after paracetamol, declined below normal. What to do next? 1 hour later
Since the air temperature is low recently(15C) (room temperature ~18-19c), how should I dress and and what kind of blanket I should use so he would not be overheated nor he is too cold

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Dress in 1 layer of light weight clothing and sleep with 1 heavy blanket (avoid bundling). (Caution: overheated kids can't undress themselves.)
Try to give him plenty of fluids orally to maintain hydration.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.