Has fell and hit the front of body. Huge bump appeared ad had lot of pain. What can be done ?

My husband fell and hit the front of his XXXXXXX on our cement porch steps. A huge goose egg has appeared at this site and he is in a lot if pain. I bandaged it and out an I've pack on it. Should we do anything else?
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Dear patient

For the time being, that should be Ok to stabilize things, but given the degree of trauma a tibia or fibular fracture should be ruled out by x rays. If no fracture and only a soft tissue hematoma (the goose egg) then conservative treatment with ice, rest and antiinflammatories should suffice

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar
Mayo Clinic MN