Has excessive sweating, fever, general malaise, pale skin and heart palpitations. TB test normal. What can be done?

Dec 2012

My husband has had excessive sweating (especially at night but also during the daytime), mild fever 99-102, general malaise (tires often), pale skin (greyish), heart palpitations (it beats "hard" sometimes). The doctor said he has low testosterone (but nothing too severe), small traces of blood in his urine, liver enzymes higher than normal but again, "nothing too severe". His thyroid, lymph nodes, blood pressure all came out fine. The doctors can't seem to figure out what's wrong with him. We went to see a infectious blood specialist who suggested it might be his sinuses?? (he has no sneezing, coughing, runny nose, etc). They took 21 viles of blood and no one will return our calls with the results after 5 days. My husband has had these symptoms for 12 days now. He also took a TB test which was normal, no nodules on his tongue, his heart and lungs sounded fine. We are at a total loss and he is getting frustrated that he is not feeling better. (Also, we have not been out of the country, he's doesn't use needles or handle feces, he's not yellow, no pain anywhere. Plus infection has been ruled out because his white blood cell count is normal). Help!
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Nsah and I am pleased to be able to assist you.

I have read thoroughly through your description and I have only one or two impressions about your husband's condition. Since you mentioned that your husband has traces of blood in his urine it will be wise that the doctors look into his prostate in case he has developed any prostate problems such as adenocarcinoma which could have him present with those symptoms. The other possible is a complicated UTI (which is less likely given that he presented with no pelvic or lower back pain and his white blood cell count shows normal).
I suggest you go in again for a urine analysis + culture, PSA, ESR, CRP, pelvic scan and also be patient for tests results from the Infectious diseases specialist to come out first. If they are taking much time is surely because they are doing culture (which usually takes time).
If your husband allow himself to worry much, then his illness will get worst. So let him relax and hope for the best.
Until the cause of his symptoms is discovered no effective treatment would be available. Also, it will be wise for your doctors to look at his liver more closely with history of childhood Hepatitis A we could be dealing with a future complication.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah