Has eruptions in feet, as one heals other cracks are formed. Also suffers from thyroid, low BP. What is it ?

Hello Doc.
My mother is aged 47 years. From past 6-7 months she has been suffering from a peculiar condition , in which she has developed erruptions in feet ( initially ) and now in hands (lately). The erruptions are like cracks in heels but have developed throughout in feet and hands. There is no oozing iquid or pus formed in cracks,or any blood clotting. Each crack stays for a period of 15-20 days and as soon as one heals others cracks are developed. Making it a cyclic disorder. Now it has become impossible to walk ,for her in this condition. The earlier doctors she consulted gave her ointments like Gluera, Diprovate ES, Halox S, Halovate F cream etc. While using these treatments initially, the condition improved and thought this was over but after 2nd phase of medicines it started re-occuring and refuses to go away.Also, to highlight with increased cracks the swelling of her feet increases and she complains of slight fever.
She is also suffering from Thyroid problem and LOW BP only.
Please suggest what is she suffering from ?
i am also uploading the photographs
Hello Doc the greenish color of the cracks is because my mom is applying a paste of Neem Tree leaves (Azadirachta Indica leaves) paste on the cracks.
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

I saw the pic you have attached.

This is a classical presentation of Hyperkeratotic Hand and foot dermatitis or palmoplantar psoriasis.

these two conditions are very similar to each other and the treatment also is more or less same.

The ointments that she has been prescribed till now are actually correct medications.

This problem tends to come back again and again and has to be treated similarly everytime. If ointments do not work then oral medication is given.

Skin care is very important. she should soak her feet and hands in lukewarm water 2 times daily and then apply vaseline. this will give good moisturization and help relieve the symptoms.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me

Follow-up: Has eruptions in feet, as one heals other cracks are formed. Also suffers from thyroid, low BP. What is it ? 52 minutes later
Thank you doc!!

I want to know what causes this condition?
How can we prevent it in future and what care i should take ?
How long does it takes to cure this disease ?
Does Thyroid plays any role in this ?
Is there any specific diet or vitamins she should follow which could help boost her immunity to fight this problem ?

Please advise..
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 27 hours later

The condition is caused due to an inherent tendency towards skin allergies. Aggravated by detergents, chemicals, garlic &onion contact.

Avoid the triggering factors and keep the skin moisturised.

Control of an episode takes 2-4 weeks. CURE is not by medication.

People who have autoimmune diseases like thyroid are more prone to skin allergies. However, the activity of thyroid disease has no bearing on skin lesions.

No particular diet restrictions. A normal healthy diet is sufficient. Plenty of water intake is beneficial

Follow-up: Has eruptions in feet, as one heals other cracks are formed. Also suffers from thyroid, low BP. What is it ? 27 hours later
Thanks doctor.

Is it possible to have an appointment with you as i have come to know via the customer care that you are currently established at DELHI. Kindly provide me your telephone no. or e mail id or your clinic address. And i shall call you or XXXXXXX you at your clinic.

NOTE:- I am too residing at DELHI, hence this gives me an excellent opportunity to XXXXXXX you and this might help my mother's condition.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 35 minutes later
You may call 0000 for an appointment. The details you may see on my profile page.