Has drenching night sweat. Consumes alcohol and sweats more when abstained. Related?

Psychiatrist
Question
My husband has drenching night sweat that make his pillow smell like vinegar. He consumes a fair amount of alcohol, and sweats more when he abstains. Could this be related?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail.
Your assumption is right. If you husband is taking a lot of alcohol and presume since along time, then he could be dependent on it. And a person, who is dependent on alcohol, if he abstains from it, then there is an increased sympathetic activity and withdrawal symptoms. They can be of various types such as mild tremors, sleep disturbance, restlessness, anxiety, or even increased sweating as in your husbands case.
He should try to leave the substance under proper supervision so that these mild withdrawal symptoms can also be everted. Moreover now there are plenty of drugs available which reduce the thoughts about restarting alcohol and helps in maintaining abstinence.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Has drenching night sweat. Consumes alcohol and sweats more when abstained. Related? 1 hour later
Is the vinegar smell related to the alcohol? Someone mentioned the possibility of diabetes.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 35 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your follow-up query.
Alcohol ones consumed can come out through your body from your breaths, urine, stools and also from your skin in sweat. The venegar kind of smell that you are describing can be due to alcohol.
The smell in diabetes is mostly in urine and not commonly in sweat. How ever if your husband has taken alcohol for long, nothing wrong in getting screened for diabetes as well.
you can get a fasting sugar and post prandial levels of blood glucose done.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.