Has dementia and was limping with foul smell on leg. What to do for treatment?
User rating for this question
My husband is 75, has dementia, and shares very little with me, his wife and caregiver. I have just noticed that he was limping and I asked him what was wrong. He said nothing, so I decided to look at his foot and leg. I am really concerned by how his leg appears. There is also a foul odor,, so I am suspecting that he has an infection. Can I do anything to treat this until I can get him to his doctor, I will try to take him tomorrow. I would appreciate an advice.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Prescription antibiotics are needed. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The presence of a foul smell and limping is likely to be related to an infection in his leg or foot. It can be a superficial skin infection or a deep infection. A direct examination is an integral part of such diagnosis. Systemic antibiotics, proper control of blood glucose levels and regular local dressing of the infected area is the best way to treat it early. Any home remedies are not likely to help him much. It is best to consult his physician for a proper treatment. If you can see an open wound in the area then do apply an antiseptic ointment like polymyxin or neosporin after cleaning the area with hydrogen peroxide. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
People also viewed
- Weakness in the calf and toe numbness
- What is the treatment for depression and dementia
- What is the treatment for convulsive seizures and dementia
- Drug treatments for dementia
- What alternative drug of diprofos injection
- Upper gi bleeding in dogs
- Uvula red dot bleeding
- Hit head no bleeding just red dots
- Plan b bleeding for weeks dizzy weak
- Treatments for dementia
- Drinking chloroform ice
- Doxycycline to stop implanon bleeding
- Lewy body dementia treatment
- What does left sided arm leg and hand dullness mean
- What does it mean when your left nipple is numb