Has dementia and was limping with foul smell on leg. What to do for treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband is 75, has dementia, and shares very little with me, his wife and caregiver. I have just noticed that he was limping and I asked him what was wrong. He said nothing, so I decided to look at his foot and leg. I am really concerned by how his leg appears. There is also a foul odor,, so I am suspecting that he has an infection. Can I do anything to treat this until I can get him to his doctor, I will try to take him tomorrow. I would appreciate an advice.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Prescription antibiotics are needed. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The presence of a foul smell and limping is likely to be related to an infection in his leg or foot. It can be a superficial skin infection or a deep infection. A direct examination is an integral part of such diagnosis. Systemic antibiotics, proper control of blood glucose levels and regular local dressing of the infected area is the best way to treat it early. Any home remedies are not likely to help him much. It is best to consult his physician for a proper treatment. If you can see an open wound in the area then do apply an antiseptic ointment like polymyxin or neosporin after cleaning the area with hydrogen peroxide. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.