Has consumed 50 cans of beer since last night. What could be the side effects?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
this it for Dr. XXXXXXX Mughal please. Just wanted to let you know that my husband has consumed about 50 cans of beer since last night. kinda wondering what will happen and when it will happen.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your situation. It all depends on the duration in which your husband has consumed 50 cans of beer. This must be over at least one or two hours. The effect of alcohol starts soon as flushing and with large quantities will cause confusion, trouble controlling emotions, loss of coordination, blackouts, drowsiness and may even cause difficulty in breathing and seizures.

As you asked this query about 5 hours back the full effect of the beer shall be present and you need to take remedial actions accordingly. If required he may have to be hospitalized if he is having difficulty in breathing.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you husband all the best.

Follow-up: Has consumed 50 cans of beer since last night. What could be the side effects? 9 hours later
to make a long story short, my husband is an alcoholic and normally consumes around 120 cans of beer every 3 days. do to some unforeseen circumstances, he stopped drinking cold XXXXXXX for approximately 14 days and he went through the 3-4 days of detoxing. then he consumed about 50 cans of beer after being fairly sober for a couple weeks. outwardly, the only real obvious symptoms are anger, and slurred speech, not much else. he locks himself in a spare bedroom to drink, so I have no idea what is going on unless he comes out of the bedroom. he has had no major symptoms, such as heart attack, stroke or seizure. he does have constant congestion and stuffy nose and a chronic little cough

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for the update.

We are not aware of the total quantity consumed over what period. You need to take professional help and get your husband admitted for taking care of this issue. You may not be able to handle it on your own.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your husband an early recovery.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Has consumed 50 cans of beer since last night. What could be the side effects? 21 minutes later
he refuses any medical intervention, Not trying to sound mean, but if he continues to drink at this rate of alcohol consumption, how long can he survive? I don't wish him dead at all, but I fear his demise could be near. I am trying to prepare myself for this as it appears to me that is his plan. both his parents died fairly young from alcoholism

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 24 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You are asking a very difficult question for which I do not have any response.

Every human body reacts differently and it cannot be said what shall be the consequences and in which manner. You and your husband's friends should motivate him for medical care.

Wishing your husband all the best.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Has consumed 50 cans of beer since last night. What could be the side effects? 24 minutes later
I apologize, that was not a fair question to ask of you, I am terribly frustrated with him not wanting help. I have been begging him for close to 15 years to get medical assistance, he has no friends any longer. I will always continue to encourage him to get help. thank you so very much for your responses. you doctors in this group are wonderful and very helpful. I truly appreciate the responses I received. thank you

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

I understand your frustations and the limitations of such portals. It is good that I have been able to provide some guidance.

I wish you and your husband all the best.

In case you intend closing this query then please do provide your feedback.

Rajiv