Has conjunctivitis. Other eye has prosthesis. Treated with Zymaxid and Durezol. What care to be taken?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My husband has conjunctivitis in his only eye which he has very little vision. His other eye has a prosthesis.
He is being treated with Zymaxid and Durezol and Systane gel. He is 78 and has Parkinson's disease, heart
problem w/stents. I have been his caregiver for some 28 years and worn out and 76. I believe he has the
bacterial form of conjunctivitis. I also believe that he is very contagious and I do not want to care for this disease.
Is it reasonable to request hospital care or Nursing Home care?
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

Bacterial conjuctivitis is contagious; however the spread can easily be prevented. I would like to reassure you that you can prevent getting the infection by following some precautions like :-
1. Wash your hand with soap and water after touching him or his belongings.
2. Wash your eyes with clean water at least 3-4 times a day.
3. Do not use his towel or handkerchief that are used by him.

The medicines you have mentioned are good enough to cure his infection. Once the infection is treated, he is no longer contagious.

Uncomplicated bacterial conjuctivitis does not warrant admission to the hospital or nursing home care. But if you wish for nursing staff for home care, you can consult his primary care centre for help.

I hope this is helpful to you. Let me know if you need clarifications.