Has chronic cough and treated for asthma., GERD and sinus condition. No proper sleep. What can be done?

My wife has chronic cough for many years has been treated for asthma , copd, gerd, sinus condition. It is very bad at nights, she is up several times a night.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 38 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query,

I understand this is a very frustrating situation for your wife and for you as well.

There are many different possible causes of cough as I am sure you are aware. We would want to make sure treatments have been completely optimized for the GERD and asthma/COPD.

If she has not seen a pulmonary specialist I think this would be beneficial. This would be recommended as the pulmonologist can do specialized testing including lung volume and breathing exams to see how well the lungs are performing.

I am sure she has been on many medications but the specialist may evaluate her history and make some additional recommendations. This may include inhaled steroid medications which may provide more long term relief of her symptoms and perhaps a more restful night.

I do not see a medication list. Can you please list her medications for review?

Thanks again for the query. Pease let us know if the are any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga