Has chest pain. Underwent tests. Diagnosed GORD. Taking somac. Concerned?

Pulmonologist
Question
MY DAUGHTER HAS CHEST PAINS EVERY MORNING, AND PAIN GOINTO HER ARM, SHE WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND AFTER 6 HOURS AND MANY TESTS THEY SENT HER HOME TELLING HER IT EAS GORD. SHE NOWS TAKES SOMAC AND ITS DOING NO GOOD SHE HAS CUT OUT SEVERAL FOODS AND DRINKS AS ADVISED WITH NO RESULT EITHER. HOW CAN SHE TELL THE DIFFERENCE OF IT NOT BEING A HEART ATTACK OR GORD. THANKS FROM A CONCERNED PARENT XXXXX
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 55 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

There are many causes for the chest pain and common ones which cause concern for a patient as well as for doctor pertain to heart, lungs and in the upper abdomen.

You have mentioned that she has undergone a battery of tests and i presume they include all relevant tests pertaining to these organs. Some of these important tests are x XXXXXXX chest, ecg, echo, usg abdomen and some blood tests. I am sure doctors have examined her in detail and all these tests are normal and thus they have come to the conclusion that she is suffering from GERD or GORD(depends on how you spell esophagus-with an `o` or with an `e`).

She should continue the medication as prescribed and take all the precautions regarding diet. Is she a smoker or consume alcohol? These should be avoided by GERD patients. In due course of time she will respond to it.

Some times pain due to GERD can mimic a heart pain but if all relevant tests are normal there does not appear to be a cause for concern.

If you are still concerned you may get an endoscopy and intra esophageal pH monitoring done to establish the diagnosis of GERD. For this consult a Gastroenterologist. You may also consult a cardiologist for a second opinion to be sure that there is nothing wrong with her heart.

Follow-up: Has chest pain. Underwent tests. Diagnosed GORD. Taking somac. Concerned? 14 hours later
I have passed it onto my daughter foe her comments. Thank you she is an ex smoker and was a moderate drinker of alcohol
l but has stopped as was advised And is still getting the pain, she goes for a stress echo test this week. Hopefully that will put our minds to rest
Thank you XXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later
Thank you XXXXXXX

Dr Shashi.

Follow-up: Has chest pain. Underwent tests. Diagnosed GORD. Taking somac. Concerned? 29 hours later
Thank you my daughter has a stress test today which shows that she has a heart problem, she is now in
Hospital for more tests, it worries me more because week they were sure she had gord. XXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 24 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

All the best. Your daughter will be alright soon.

bye.

Dr Shashi