Has cellulitis in foot, taking Keflex helps. But having pain in another foot, has patches of petechiae. Suggest?

Dec 2012

My 86 year old husband has cellulitis in his right foot. He is currently taking Keflex 3x a day and it is slowwly getting better. he complains his left foot hurts more than the right one , but nothing is visible on the foot. However, he has 2 0r 3 patches of petechiae on that leg higher up. Is this anything to be overly concerned about? My e-mail is YYYY@YYYY . Thank you for answering.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be an autoimmune diseases

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

From your description, it is possible that your husband might have developed an autoimmune diseases which has just started and is manifesting visible with petechiae and left foot pain. It could be induced by medication or just spontaneous. Causes of such petechia could range from infections (viral, bacteria, parasitic etc) to non-infectious conditions (such as Hypocalcemia, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, lupus etc).
I think your husband should see a doctor for that after completing the treatment for cellulitis. The doctor would be able to investigate further to determine the cause of the petechia and left foot pain.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah