Has cataract, advised surgery. Has High BP. Taking telista and ecosprin. Surgery?

Question
Has cataract, advised surgery.
Has High BP.
Taking telista and ecosprin.
Age 58
Gender Female
BP 160/80 after 5-6 Hrs taking medicene
Surgery?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 41 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

A normal blood pressure is prerequisite for a surgery as the higher levels can increase the complications.

The optimum blood pressure at any age is considered 120/80 irrespective of the age of the person, more so if the surgery is planned.

You are talking Telmisartan ,as you have not mentioned the dose, I presume it to be 40 mg,as it is most commonly prescribed.

You need to increase the dose of your antihypertensive medication, as always please consult your doctor to do so.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Follow-up: Has cataract, advised surgery. Has High BP. Taking telista and ecosprin. Surgery? 19 hours later
My mother is using below medicine Still I need to increase dose
And my que is shall we go ahead with surgery though my mother is having high BP

1. Telvas - AM
2. Ecosprin - 75 mg
3. Asomex - 2.5 mg

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 3 hours later
If blood pressure is 160/80, increase in dose or addition of another medicine is needed to control the blood pressure for the surgery.