Has brown patches on soles of feet. No pain and itchiness, takes body building supplements. Is it melanoma?

My 21 year old extremely health concious son has brown some dark some light patches appearing on the soles of his feet. They are not painfull and they do not itch. They started coming up a month ago, at first we thought they were stains from his work boots. Two appeared yeaterday which are light brownish and quarter sized. I have an appointment with a podiatrist tomorrow, quite frankly i am besides myself i am so scared its melanoma especually with the speed these are popping up. He is not having other symptoms that stand out eating and drinking normally works out for 3 plus hours a day and takes body building supplements (not steriods).
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They are very normal & harmless

Detailed Answer:

Appearance of a new or abnormal mole in an adult may be a sign of malignant melanoma if it fulfills the following criteria:
1. Asymmetry.
2. Border irregularity.
3. Color change/irregularity.
4. Diameter more than 6 mm.
5. Elevation irregular.
In your post, you have mentioned about the characteristics of the moles & according to it they are not painful, itchy or associated with any other symptoms.

Presence of a few moles here & there without any symptom can be considered harmless.
Just note if there is any change in size or color of these moles and any associated symptoms like pain, bleeding, etc.
And if you notice any such change, then it will be better to visit a Dermatologist & get a skin biopsy done.
It will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis & also rule out presence of any other skin growths/lesions which look like mole such as freckles, lentigines, hemangiomas, etc.

Otherwise, there is no need to worry.
They are very normal.

If possible, please upload a picture of the moles.
It will be helpful for us to give a better probable diagnosis.

Wishing your son a Good Health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: Has brown patches on soles of feet. No pain and itchiness, takes body building supplements. Is it melanoma? 46 minutes later
I am attaching a couple of pictures - i counted and has 10 of which were not there in July! . I gave attached pics of both feet!
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection, not moles

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up query.

I have gone through the pictures attached with your post.
What they reveal are brownish/hyper-pigmented spots in the sole of the foot, especially in the pressure bearing areas, that is areas of contact of feet with the ground.
They are suggestive of Tinea nigra, a fungal infection, which presents with similar features.

Management involves:
1. Application of anti fungal ointment like Clotrimazole.
2. Keeping the feet dry & avoid too much exposure to water or sweat formation.
3. Avoid wearing tight foot wears, as it will cause sweating & predispose to fungal infections.
If symptoms persist even after 15 days, then it will be better to consult a Dermatologist.

There is no need to worry, your son will be fine.
Wishing him a Good Health.