Has been on methadone, is very skinny and picks her skin. Have mood swings and lost children. Advise?

Psychiatrist
Question
hi my daughter been on methadone for 10 years and she is very skinny and she pick and pick her skin so badly and she has bad moon swings and turn against and a bruise people and she lost her 5 children though welfare and i just wonder that methadone cause her problem and she pick and make it blood .
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 54 minutes later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

Symptoms in your daughter might be due to

- Bipolar mood disorder with psychotic features
- Impulse control disorder
- Methadone toxicity
You should consult your psychiatrist for detailed evaluation .
Treatment will be directed as per cause.

Drugs like divalprorex sodium or lithium or oxcarbamezapine along with antipsychotic agent might be helpful to her. Doctor may advise to stop taking methadone.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Has been on methadone, is very skinny and picks her skin. Have mood swings and lost children. Advise? 1 hour later
sorry but i dont understand you does methodone feck your body and why the doctors leave her on it for so long she 34 kilgo in waite

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 35 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me.

Your daughter's symptoms might be due to one of the following.

1) Bipolar mood disorder with psychotic features with tactile hallucination which is more likely in her case.

2) Methadone side effects.

The reason of her symptoms may be one of the above and not necessarily all.

Methadone is synthetic, long acting opioid drug which is widely used for morphine and heroin deaddiction program. But it may cause, obviously not in all but some cases, mood changes and hallucination as a side effect.

So it is advisable to consult your psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and to find out the exact cause of her behavior.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

If you do not have any query, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Thanks.