Has baldness. But still has good hair and very little grey hair. Caused by virus? Any treatment?

This is for my Mom who is 60 year old now.
She has developed a small two circles of 15mm of baldness on her head. One month since she noticed it.
She has good hairs and still very little grey hair
She is upset about this. Is this any viral infections that can be cured. Please let me knw the treatment need be undertaken.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. Does she have any itching?
2. Is it increasing in size?
3. Did she have this before?

Based on the given data, the problem could be
- Focal conditions such as fungal infection / psoriasis.
- Alopecia areata which is related to an auto immune condition.

Focal examination of the scalp by a competent dermatologist is warranted to narrow down the possibilities. If needed, she may need to undergo a simple test – scalp scraping that will be studied under a microscope to confirm the diagnosis.

Sometimes the condition may be an early feature of generalized hair loss that can occur due to other factors such as
Exposure to harsh chemicals
Certain medications.
Poor eating habits and nutritionally deficiency.
Hormonal and endocrine disorders.

It is unlikely that this condition could be due to viral infection and hence unlikely to settle down.
I encourage you to seek medical help. So the next step is to consult a dermatologist early for the evaluation is important.

In the meantime, proper rest, distressing measures, good nutrition – protein, vitamin and mineral XXXXXXX diet might benefit her. A specific treatment can be suggested once the cause is found.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow ups. Please accept my answer if you have no follow ups.